LANZA ACTIVITIES CENTER at THE CHILDREN'S VILLAGE
Lanza Activities Center
The Children's Village
Dobbs Ferry, NY
2010 American School & University Outstanding Design Award
Honors and Awards
In 1851 the New York Juvenile Asylum was founded to house homeless children in New York City. In 1906, it moved to Dobbs Ferry and became The Children’s Village in 1927. Today, Children’s Village, supported by New York State, is a residential school for troubled children who have been removed from their dysfunctional environments.
The Lanza Activities Center was created from a dilapidated 1950s building which housed a gymnasium and defunct swimming pool. Its design is based on ideas of community, cooperation, and transparency. The building now houses a gym, competition pool, fitness center, student commons, café, and multipurpose rooms; an outdoor terrace overlooks a new basketball court. A barber shop and commercial kitchen are teaching spaces for career training.
The Center is the hub for student life on campus. It is a place of energy and daylight where multiple activities can be observed simultaneously from many locations. It is a venue for recreation and social interaction, giving students the opportunity to be athletes and members of their community.