New reception desk
Exterior view of club
This private club on Fifth Avenue was designed by Charles McKim of McKim, Mead & White in 1898 to imitate a Florentine Renaissance palazzo. In 1916, significant additions were made to the Club by the successor firm to McKim, Mead & White after all of the partners had died. During the 1950s, various renovations were undertaken that were inappropriate for a landmarked building.
In 1988, we prepared a Master Plan which provided the framework for the phased restoration and expansion of the Club, and our work there spanned nearly thirty years. In the interior, we adhered to the design concepts of McKim, Mead & White, and turned to their original drawings for inspiration when planning new details, elevators, and accommodating new mechanical systems. We returned monumental spaces to their original grandeur, reconfigured guest rooms, dining and athletic spaces, brought the building up to code, and created new space for recreation, including new squash courts and an outdoor terrace.
Exterior work included cleaning and restoring the limestone façade, repairing worn balustrades, and replacing wooden windows with energy-efficient replicas of the originals. All of this work was subject to the approval by the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission.
New York City, NY