BRONXVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY

Project Information

 

The Bronxville Library occupies the southeast corner of the village’s key civic intersection of Palmer Avenue and Pondfield Road.  The original 10,000 sf library, completed in 1942, was designed by Harry Leslie Walker to resemble a grand central hall house.

The library was transformed into a public building by doubling its size and completely reinventing the interior spaces.  Two new wings were added, one at the east end of the original structure and one at the west.  We reorganized the interior to create better public circulation and access.  The new design increased the amount of art gallery space on all three floors, and connected the main gallery spaces to the restored grand stair.   Spaces for children and teens were vastly improved.  A new community room was created from unexcavated basement space.  With its broadcasting capabilities, meetings and events are televised to the local residents.  The community room and its corridor are also art galleries.

The 2-story bow window on the library’s east addition emphasizes the connection to the civic intersection. The expanded building is now equal in size and mass to the Village Hall across the street, and is a prominent public building in the Village townscape.

Bronxville Public Library
Bronxville, NY
  • Transformation

  • Renovation / Restoration

  • New Construction

  • 20,000 sf

  • 2002 AIA Westchester/Hudson Valley Recognition of Excellence

Honors and Awards

 

Bronxville Public Library

New community room created from unexcavated space