ARTS & SCIENCE CENTER at AGNES IRWIN SCHOOL
Arts and Science Center
Agnes Irwin School
Agnes Irwin, founded in 1869, serves approximately 650 girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. The new Arts and Science Center is an interdisciplinary place with collaborative spaces for students to engage in the sciences, visual and performing arts.
The 30,000 sf building is based on the idea of an art gallery where the two-story entry lobby, the open stair, and all of the corridors are used to display student art and the work of visiting artists. Every instructional space has interior windows facing out to the corridors. By maximizing internal visibility, the excitement of each discipline is shared with all users of the building.
The building is connected to the Upper School via a new bridge, leading to the original 300 seat auditorium. This 3,000 sf space was renovated to compliment the Arts and Science Center, making it feel like it is part of the new building. Work in the auditorium included construction of a new lighting catwalk.